Why do I love to run? I love to run because of the amazing benefits of running and I think most runners would agree and be thankful for all of the amazing benefits of running both mentally and physically!
1) Stress Relief – To me, the one thing I have come to love most about running is the stress relief it brings me. Stress relief is a HUGE benefit of running! When I am running, my mind is completely free. I don’t listen to music but I just let my mind go. Sometimes a stupid saying gets caught in it and I repeat it to myself over and over. Other times when I run, I work out a problem I have been trying to solve.
2) Improvement in Cardio and Health – The benefits of running to our bodies is a blog post in itself! I went to the allergist last night for a check up and my blood oxygen level was 100. The nurse exclaimed that she only sees someone have 100 once or twice a week, if that. She went to explain further to my daughter that it means that my body is getting oxygen to my entire body very efficiently. Thank you running! I also noticed I have a lower resting heart rate and blood pressure when I am actively training.
3) Endurance/Patience – Depending on the distance to run or the area to be cleaned, a certain amount of endurance is required and patience is needed to complete the distance. You seriously just want to give up at times during the run but you pull yourself together and just get it done… You are so close, it is time to focus, not goof around and just be done. The endurance and patience benefits of running can also apply to almost any area of our lives. Running demands that you are in it for the long haul, so do kids, a job, a relationship. Sticking it out when the going gets tough and then the satisfaction at the end is a great life lesson.
4) Eating More – I get “rungry” (Hungry after a long run) quite a bit and as long as I stick to a clean paleo based diet I can pretty much eat what I want and loose weight during a training program. Having a second helping of a grass fed burger on lettuce is defiantly a benefit of running in my book!
5) You can Always Learn and Improve – During a race, there will always be something that I thought I could have done better. I remember the time I took a picture on the Ambassador Bridge during the Detroit International Half Marathon and it literally cost me my PR! Seriously, that was a huge lesson learned though that I will put in place and think about for the next race. I love that I can continually improve, with effort!
6) Sense of Satisfaction – A huge sense of satisfaction comes from completing a run, whether it is your first time running a mile without stopping or your first half marathon. Running is something only YOU can do, no one can do it for you. Sure, you can hire a trainer but only YOU can run and cross that finish line. The sense of satisfaction for me is the best benefit of running! Not to mention the bling!
Running has given me so many things these past few years and has benefited my life in so many ways, I wish I would have known the benefits of running 20 years ago!
What is the biggest benefit from running that you get? What would you tell a new runner?